What Is the Bleacher Report Community?
As sports fans, we are all naturally part of a huge community. While our fandoms differ from city to city and team to team, we all enjoy getting together to discuss our favorite teams, our starting fantasy lineups and really anything that gives us an excuse to talk about what is happening on and off the field!
At Bleacher Report, we are happy to offer a platform for you to express all these thoughts online. We encourage vibrant discussions and heated dialogues. After all, we at Bleacher Report are no different than you—we take sports very seriously. With that said, we ask that you respect your peers and abide by our guidelines.
That’s Great. So Why Do We Need Guidelines?
As passionate fans, it is important to be able to express yourself. Creating such discussion is what produces a unique community. However, there are some forms of communication that just won’t fit no matter what the situation is. For that reason, we have guidelines in place to make sure comments don’t take a turn for the worse.
We know it’s easy to turn into a “keyboard warrior” and let the anonymity the Internet provides to take over. However, we ask that you check yourself. And for those of you who can’t, our moderation team will take the appropriate action with any users who don’t abide by our rules.
Remember, the Internet is a public place. Our readers come from all walks of life. We’re all here to read about and discuss sports in a healthy manner—not be insulted or personally attacked.
What Will Get My Account Suspended or My Comments Deleted?
Well, for starters…
- Posting an inappropriate photo/video/GIF
- Personal attacks directed at other users
- Language that degrades any religion, race, ethnicity, sexuality or gender
- Having an inappropriate username, bio, or profile photo
- Misleading or false news/reporting
- Encouraging or inciting violence
- Posting personal/confidential information about other users
- Threatening, harassing, bullying, or encouraging others to do so
- Misrepresentation (creating profiles of other people that are not explicitly called ‘fan account’ or ‘parody account’ in bio)
You may also be suspended if you…
- Disrupt the discussion in the comment section by posting repetitive and/or nonsensical comments
- Spamming other B/R users via the comment section, direct messaging, or posts to solicit follows, fires, or for any other reason
- Post links to websites that have nothing to do with the topic being discussed
- Make multiple profiles under the same or a similar username
- Try to use the comment section, direct messaging, or your profile to promote your personal website or social media accounts (although we’re sure they’re lovely)
- Repeatedly report comments and user profiles without valid cause
We recognize that certain words and phrases have been used to denigrate and attack women. For that reason, we intend to more closely evaluate and scrutinize comments on posts about girls and women.
In layman’s terms…
- Don’t be a jerk.
- Don’t be a troll.
- Don’t be a spammer.
Bleacher Report loves to give our users direct access to their favorite athletes, entertainers, and personalities in our AMAs (ask me anything). Our normal community guidelines remain in place for AMAs, as well as additional guidelines users need to follow in order to ensure that AMAs are a good experience for everyone.
- No abusive or harassing comments
- The first comment in each thread must ask a question.
- Do not ask for personal favors (merchandise, tickets, promotion, etc.)
What Happens If My Account Gets Suspended?
Should you do something to violate our guidelines, your account will be suspended. This will prevent you from logging into your account, commenting, connecting with friends, and more. If you feel like your account has been suspended without a valid reason, please feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will review your case.
Suspension will not prevent you from using the Bleacher Report App or visiting our website. You’ll still be able to get your favorite teams’ news, scores and cool content, but you won’t be able to interact with other users in the community.
What Should I Do If I Notice Someone Else Being Offensive?
In addition to checking yourself, we appreciate it when our users help make the Bleacher Report community a better place by flagging any comments or user profiles they deem to be offensive. It is important to note that comments being flagged should fall in line with our rules above—not simply posts you happen to disagree with.
I Have Other Questions That You Didn’t Answer
No problem! Shoot an email to us at email@example.com. We’ll get back to you ASAP!